2.28.2008

Joy and Woe of Netflix


About a month ago I finally caved in and joined Netflix. After all of the work and shows last year I convinced myself that I deserved it. I used to be quite a movie addict - even did the classic thing of working as a video store clerk for a summer in college so I could get free rentals. But lately I've fallen off my addiction - which was probably for the best... but regardless... the deed has been done. I only allowed myself to sign up for the 1 movie out at time plan as a way to try and keep myself in check. It's sorta working. But I also have SO many moives to catch up on - including many of the recent Oscar winners.

Last night my queue delivered The Prince & Me with Julia Stiles. Now, I mostly selected this flick just because I love Julia Stiles and had yet to see it - but also, I must admit that I'm a sucker for a good fairy tale story. I thought this one was going to be a little too fairy tale (as in made for the single enjoyment of pre-teen girls at slumber parties) but I was presently surprised. Yes, no doubt about it's fairy tale & pre-teen appeal - but it also came with a pretty powerful message that hit me close to home.

In the movie, Paige (played by Julia Stiles) is a pre-med student with dreams of traveling the world with Doctors Without Borders. For a time, that dream goes out the window when she ends up falling in love with the Prince of Denmark - they become engaged and she is instantly transported to the world of royalty. Only the fairy tale does not end there. She comes to realize that as marvelous as her true love's world is, it is really not for her. She could travel, but no longer on her own terms. She could help people through humanitarian efforts, but no longer directly. (Hopefully I'm not spoiling this for anyone who is about to see it)

The message of the story is to not give up on your dreams and it came at a poignant time for me. I have been contemplating quite fiercely the reversal of my move. Why? What reasoning?
Love. Yearning. Wanting to nest and settle down.

Although that may still be my path someday, it is not my path today. Right now I'm meant to be right here: Learning at my job, working with the co-op and painting my blisses. This pulling of the heart is a hard thing to struggle with.

No comments: