7.27.2012

on Being Deliberate


IMAG0965, originally uploaded by Sara Everett.

The swing of things has begun to return. Yet there still is this sense of satisfied completeness. This trip was something I needed to do for such a long time and now that I'm back I feel I'm truly "back". Not really wistful or yearning to still be in a dream-like residency, but eager to push forward. I'm finding myself in continual little attempts to keep the flavor of my time at Clo Ceardlann however while I transition back into "normal" life:
Waking up slow, sipping tea constantly, journaling my dreams and taking moments to watercolor.
But it runs deeper. Somewhere along the lines of interaction with artists I met: Ian Joyce, Oona Hyland, Eoin Mac Lochlainn, Nuala ni Fhlathuin, Bil Fleming... I ignited a spark to dig deep. To plant my heels into the roots of my vision and speak my voice with more deliberateness. With a honed sense of what my art wants to say.
I picked up an appreciation for working slower. There was a 20x30" wood block carving took me several weeks of carving a little piece of it each day until my arm was tired. It seemed for a time that I never would finish it. But then it was done. The pure satisfaction of running my fingers across it's grooves and lines was bliss. And the printing of it spawned a series.
I'm thinking in patterns now. In the happiness of long projects and the limitlessness of three dimensions and unrestrained media. I can better appreciate the connections now between a thumbed through, dog-eared stack of books, the ramblings of my scrawled journal pages, conversations I have and the little inspirations of daily life. It all circles around into artwork.
A continuous, self-sustaining circle of refining and honing. Each time I think I've completed an answer with my artwork only more questions appear. The only thing to do is to keep pushing.

No comments: