11.19.2007

Illustration Friday - Superstition

"Duende"
Coffee stains & Watercolor
19" x 27"

Duende may refer to:

  • Duende (mythology), a fairy- or goblin-like creature in Spanish and Latin American mythology
  • Duende (art), a difficult-to-define phrase in the Spanish arts that connotes emotion and authenticity
service for my college teacher and mentor, On Saturday, the day after the IF assignment of "superstition", I attended a RemembranceDoranne Crable, who had passed. Part of that service was a screening of the film "When the Road Bends". In the theater, in the dark I wrote down a single scrawled quote.
Duende. The spirit that moves you. The chills, the spark.

It captured the essence of how I felt that Doranne lived her life.
It holds the essence of how I want to pursue my own.
I came home Saturday evening filled to the brim and this... just happened. The true first in a series I've felt coming for a long while. The spirits. The Duende.

Shanti Shanti Shanti Doranne

No comments: