7.12.2011

Back from the Road - Again

 Just when I thought my road trip time was over it turns out that I had one more journey to make. This past weekend found me traveling Washington's Highway 12 through Gifford Pinchot National Forest past Mount Rainier and beyond into the Yakima Valley. I was called that way for the family celebration of my dear Grandmother's long, full life. Just one month shy of her 90th birthday. Grandma, you will be missed.

The scenery along the drive could not have been prettier...

And the cherries jewel-like on the local orchards were the sweetest in recent memory...

Even sweeter was a child-like stop for the treat of the Peppermint Stick's ice cream. A long standing tradition!
 Since I was in the Valley I made a point to finally visit the remarkable Artist enclave of Mighty Tieton and spent a lovely time exploring the gallery, workshop space and press. If you are ever up that way it is by far worth the detour. I know I will be returning!

The Pallisades

 One other stop on my journey included a mini Sabbatical to visit an old childhood family haunt - Ohanapecosh Campground. Just a few miles off Hwy 12 it was a welcome break for a stretch and a little contemplation beside the waters that were as clear and jewel-blue as I remembered. Not much seems to have changed from the days I roved the campground looking for toads with my tribe of cousins! Course now all I want to do is return for a weekend of camping there. Tis been far too long.
Returned home late on Sunday and then spent Monday celebrating Andy's birthday. Which thankfully included a stop at my favorite local coffee house for the birthday request of dirty chai. Oh yum =) After 3 days in the valley with drip coffee Oly coffee roasters made for a happy return indeed!

No comments: