8.02.2011

Ocean, Tides & Flora

Andy and my Mom, exploring tidepools
The days last week were swiftly filled by my annual family vacation to the Oregon coast.  We lucked out with some of the most gorgeous, ideal weather. It was the kind of week not often repeated so close to the Pacific. All of us took advantage of this blessing by spending the majority of our time out on the beach.
My photographer Dad at Spouting Horn, Cape Perpetua

Ancient Sitka Spruce towering above

Bear tracks on the beach

View from our temporary beach cabin homestead
Crown Point overlooking the Columbia River

I capped off vacation by taking a little artist retreat on my own. I traveled up the Columbia River gorge to Corbet, OR where I enjoyed the treat of a two day painting workshop with Flora Bowley. Creative play in a spectacular garden setting with some truly lovely souls.

Flora herself is a wonderfully open teacher fully sharing her techniques and tricks she has learned over the years. She combines technique with a playful painting philosophy I found quite refreshing.
Layering colors, texture and bold mark-making - canvas in progress
The end results for me were a pair of canvases that to me seem so completely in Flora's style but also speak from my own voice. I had a TON of fun.
I'm already experimenting with ways to bring some of this colorful looseness into my own paintings on wood. Stay tuned for some playful & bold wood-staining!

No comments: