5.28.2016

The New Mexico Journals - Santa Fe Hills

NM Journal 5.17.16
"Courage" by Retha Walden Gambaro
All the promise of a full day ahead. I slept until my 'normal' time for the first time since this journey began. Gentle yoga and a hot shower - Finally! (Yesterday the gas had been off due to utility work in the street) but oddly even with all that I'm quite sleepy. Maybe the delay for caffeine - my body started getting used to 6:30 am breakfast? Crazy!

International Folk Arts Museum - I arrived in time for a docent tour (which I laughed at how little she knew of the exhibits aside from the permanent collection) but the value in hearing the story of the Alexander Girard collection - meticulous!








My favorite exhibit at the Folk Museum - Flamenco!

Them skirts are HEAVY!

Note to self - look for this score...

...

And sometimes you end up exactly where you need to be. After soaking at ten thousand waves high up in the mountains (per recommendation) I had dinner with my host family. Dinner being a loose term - it had gotten late enough we just had art and conversation and snacks and salad. Ok - all that WAS dinner - a filling and satisfying one with the conversation and kid sillies with Evie while Christina cooked. After Evie tuckered out we talked art and relationships and the challenges and joys of motherhood. I missed Andy and all of our glowing potential. Apparently I'm good with kids because I'm honest with them. No BS. I'm straight up. I guess I always have been. Kids are just less experienced people, more prone to giggles as well as tantrums. (Evie had a little meltdown there at the end after her milk mustache and milk beard shenanigans.)

We talked of creativity - and how adaptable kids are, and how really it can be whatever we wish it to be (late nights, cheese and milk mustaches for dinner) as long as there is safety and consistency, nothing else really matters. 

(Pretty much sums it up for any of us...)
...

No comments: